So, I saw this recipe online last week and couldn’t wait to try it. I know it’s not completely paleo, but it is definitely a better alternative for a pizza/spaghetti craving. I was worried it would not taste quite as good as it look, but boy was I wrong. It was AH-MAZING! For someone who does not eat very big meals, I have to admit that I went back for seconds. I would not suggest eating this in abundance only because of the cheese and pepperoni, but on occasion I feel it’s okay. It still has nutritional benefits from the spaghetti squash and ground venison, and it definitely proves that eating grain-free is not boring! I found the recipe at Holistically Engineered, but I changed it up a bit. Here is the recipe I used:
Pizza Spaghetti Squash Casserole:
- 1 Whole Spaghetti Squash (or 4 cups)
- 1/2 lb Ground Venison Sausage
- 3 cups Arrabbiata Marinara Sauce (or your preferred brand/homemade)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 1/2 oz Pepperoni
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (I think I only used about 1/4, but however much you want)
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, brown the ground venison sausage (or whatever meat you choose) until cooked through.
- In a medium bowl, combine the marinara sauce, eggs, oregano, and garlic powder.
- Place the spaghetti squash into a glass baking dish (I used a 8X11.5″). Top with the marinara mixture and cooked venison sausage. Stir to combine with the spaghetti squash and smooth into an even layer.
- Top with a layer of half of the pepperoni, a layer of Parmesan cheese, and then a layer of Mozzarella cheese.
- Top with the remaining pepperoni and make for 20-30 minutes until set and heated through.
- Let sit for a few minutes to firm a little, or eat it while a little runny. Either way is delicious!
Because of the larger glass pan, this about made 8 medium-large servings.
If you’re vegan or paleo and do not want cheese, I’m sure using nutritional yeast would work just fine. Adding veggies (vegan) or some other ground meat (paleo) instead of the pepperoni would be delicious as well! Not sure about the egg replacement, but I’m sure if you’re vegan you know of something you can use!